Research Center, and You
For 100 years, UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland has been delivering exceptional medical care to children from all regions of California.
As a facility we are 100% focused on kids and offer over 30 sub-specialties, from neurosurgery to sports medicine to urology. Our trauma center is the only Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Center in Northern California, which gives kids twice the chance to make it versus any adult trauma center. We are one of few places with the specialized staff and facilities able to treat rare illnesses and health problems in children, and recognize that the medical needs of kids are vastly different from those of adults.
In addition to treating more kids than any pediatric hospital in the Bay Area, Children’s research center has over 300 scientists working on 150 clinical trials. Since our research center and hospital are in the same place, up-to-the-minute insights, trends and data go directly from the lab to the hospital, and vice versa. For instance, Children’s Hospital Oakland developed what are now the worldwide protocols for treating sickle cell anemia and cerebral palsy.
Children’s is not only an invaluable resource for current patients and their families, but also excels as a nationally recognized pediatric teaching facility and research center. As a teaching facility we receive over 600 applicants a year for only 20 medical internships—so we are able to pick only the best.
In 2009 we delivered 62.5 million dollars of charity care and community benefits, and want to continue delivering this kind of care in the future. Because full-service hospitals just for children are extremely specialized, few communities can support one. We need your philanthropy to ensure that kids out there get the care they need and that life-saving research can continue. You enable us to provide essential services to the children and families of Northern California—and beyond.
We’re raising money for the kids, hear what they have to say.
- Children’s has 99% retention rate among nurses and 76% of "Best Doctors" in the Bay work here.
- Children’s has 30 sub-specialties from neurosurgery to sports medicine to urology.
- Children’s emergency room sees more kids each year than do the emergency rooms of UCSF and Lucile Packard combined.
- Children’s has the only Level 1 trauma center in the Bay Area.
- The Children’s Research Institute finds causes and cures for kids in the Bay Area and around the world.
- Children’s is the only independent pediatric hospital in the Bay Area. Everything we do is kid-sized.