Nationally Recognized Expertise Appointments>
• The Neurology Department sees well over 400 patients with many types of epilepsy each year, making us one of the most experienced epilepsy treatment center in Northern California.
• Our physicians with epilepsy expertise not only treat chronic conditions, but are deeply involved in researching scientific explanations to better understand and treat childhood epilepsy.
• Children’s epilepsy team works closely with parents to customize ketogenic diets for patients who don't respond to medications and has used the diet successfully to manage epilepsy for hundreds of children.
• Pediatric epilepsy surgeries are coordinated by Children’s team of neurologists, neuropsychologists, nurses, play therapists, and neurosurgeons, each with specialized knowledge of childhood epilepsy.
Unparalleled Personalized Care
• Patients have direct access to physicians in the epilepsy department, who return phone calls and answer emails. Care and information is delivered not by fellows or residents-in-training, but by MDs, who are on call nights and weekends.
• Our patients receive the finest post-operative care in the largest pediatric intensive care unit and neonatal intensive care unit in Northern California.
• Transport teams are available to receive patients 24 hours a day.
Comprehensive Technical Diagnostic Test
• Electroencephalogram (EEG) - a procedure that records the brain's continuous, electrical activity by means of electrodes attached to the scalp.
• Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) - a diagnostic procedure that uses a combination of large magnets, radiofrequencies, and a computer to produce detailed images of organs and structures within the body
• Computerized Tomography Scan (also called a CT or CAT scan) - an imaging procedure that uses a combination of x-rays and computer technology to produce cross-sectional images (often called slices), both horizontally and vertically, of the brain.
Our program is equipped with a computer-guided stereotactic neurosurgery station, intraoperative CT and ultrasound, and a neuroendoscope for minimally invasive, state-of-the-art brain surgery.
For children with seizures uncontrolled by medications alone, a range of surgical options, including focal brain resection, disconnection operations and vagal nerve stimulation, can be used to control and sometimes even eliminate the seizures completely. Visit: Neurosurgery/Epilepsy Surgery
Treating children with epilepsy who are unresponsive to standard treatments:
Ketogenic Diet Program
Our ketogenic diet program, one of the few in the San Francisco Bay Area, may help patients with appropriate histories. We have more than 15 years experience with ketogenic diets.
Vagal Nerve Stimulator Program
Vagal nerve stimulator treatment is available to patients with refractory epilepsy. Treatment is offered in collaboration with staff from the Neurosurgery/Epilepsy Surgery department.
Monday – Friday, 8 PM – 4 PM
Phone: (510) 450-5656
Fax: (510) 601-3974
Referral Fax: (510) 995-2956
Main Hospital— Map/Directions
747 52nd Street, Oakland, California, 94609