Members of Children's Hospital's Medical Staff may admit patients to Children's Hospital & Research Center Oakland directly from their offices.
Phone: (510) 428-3601
Hours: 8 AM and 8 PM
Primary care physician calls Children’s Admissions at (510) 428-3601 to start the direct admission process.
The communications center will ask for the following information:
- Patient's name/date of birth/gender
- Isolation requirement
- Patient's complaint
- Presenting signs and symptoms
- Referring physician's initial plan of care
- Where the patient is coming from
- Anticipated time of arrival
- If the referring physician will be the attending or would like the hospitalist to attend
- Referring physician's phone number
- The contact name and phone number for additional insurance information (parent/guardian, etc.)
Note: Depending on the pediatric service or department, more specific referral information may also be needed.
After this basic information is received by the Admissions Department, the call will be transferred to the hospitalist on call (8 AM to 8 PM), for information about evaluation and treatment.
The direct-admit hospitalist will inform the referring physician whether the patient will be admitted to Children's main hospital or the Summit Pediatric Unit. If bed availability is uncertain, the direct-admit hospitalist will notify the nursing supervisor. The nursing supervisor will call the referring physician with updated information as soon as possible.
If the referring physician is on Children's medical staff, but prefers that a hospitalist manage the patient's care during the inpatient stay, let us know.