The Child Life Department at Children’s Hospital & Research Center Oakland offers full time internships in Spring and Summer to qualified students enrolled in a Graduate Child Life Program. (See Student Internship Summary below.)
NOTE: We require 100 hours of paid or unpaid pediatric hospital experience before the beginning of the internship.
Our Child Life Program offers a comprehensive learning experience that includes therapeutic play activities, preparation and procedural support. All interns have a primary supervisor with whom they will meet on a regular basis. Opportunities for short rotations in other areas are provided. At a minimum, all interns are required to: 1) submit a weekly journal of interactions, assessments and progress notes; 2) present a case study to the Child Life staff; and 3) complete a supervisor approved project.
If you have questions, email Sara Devaney: email@example.com
Thank you for your interest in Children’s Hospital Oakland.
- Download and complete the internship application:
Child Life Common Internship Application
Prepare the following documents to submit with your application:
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Current academic transcripts
- Child Life Internship Reference Form: This form requires two references—one from an academic institution and one from your hospital experience.
- Supplemental Essay Questions: Please write your responses to all 3 essay questions below and submit on a separate paper:
- What do you believe to be important when working with children and families in a healthcare setting?
- Describe a challenging experience when working with a hospitalized patient. Upon reflection, is there anything you would have done differently?
(Note: If you are applying for a second internship, please describe an experience from your previous internship.)
- Describe your strengths and areas for growth when working with children?
Please mail or fax to:
Manager, Child Life Department
Children’s Hospital & Research Center Oakland
747 52nd St., Oakland, CA 94609-1809
Phone: (510) 428-3520
Fax: (510) 597-7024
Prior to beginning a Child Life internship at Children’s Hospital, all interns must have:
- Background check completed by Children’s Hospital
- Health clearance (Proof of immunizations and an up-to-date TB test - Download and submit form)
- Documentation of liability insurance coverage or insurance coverage through an academic institution
Student Internship Summary - 2013
||Date of Offer
||2nd Tuesday of October
||2nd Tuesday of February