The Child Life Department at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland offers full time internships to qualified students enrolled in a Graduate Child Life Program.
NOTE: We require 100 hours of paid or unpaid pediatric hospital experience before the beginning of the internship.
Our Child Life Program offers a comprehensive learning experience that includes therapeutic play activities, preparation and procedural support. All interns have a primary supervisor with whom they will meet on a regular basis. Opportunities for rotations in multiple services are provided. All interns are required on a weekly basis to submit: 1.) A reflective journal; 2.) A Child Life care plan; 3.) A written review of reading assignments. Additional assignments include a case study and a final project.
If you have questions, email Sara Devaney: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest in Children’s Hospital Oakland.
Prepare the following documents to submit with your application:
- Review application deadlines for Winter/Spring and Summer sessions.
- Download and complete the internship application:
Child Life Common Internship Application
- As supplements to the Common Child Life Internship Application, there two forms for verifying coursework or practicums in progress that students must submit as applicable, the Confirmation of Child Life Course In-Progress form and the Confirmation of Child Life In-Progress Practicum form
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Academic transcripts. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable for the application. Official transcripts must be supplied upon request upon acceptance. Include undergraduate, graduate and any other transcripts from completed academic post-graduate work.
- Child Life Internship Reference Form:This form requires two references-- one from an academic institution and one from your hospital experience, preferably from a Certified Child Life Specialist who supervised you. Letters of reference from these sources may also accompany the form.
- Supplemental Essay Questions: Please write your responses to all 3 essay questions below and submit on a separate paper:
- What do you believe to be important when working with children and families in a healthcare setting?
- Describe a challenging experience when working with a hospitalized patient. Upon reflection, is there anything you would have done differently?
(Note: If you are applying for a second internship, please describe an experience from your previous internship.)
- Describe your strengths and areas for growth when working with children?
Please mail or fax to:
Manager, Child Life Department
UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland
747 52nd St., Oakland, CA 94609-1809
Phone: (510) 428-3520
Fax: (510) 597-7024
Prior to beginning a Child Life internship at Children’s Hospital, all interns must have:
- Background check completed by Children’s Hospital
- Health clearance (Proof of immunizations and an up-to-date TB test - Download and submit form)
- Documentation of liability insurance coverage or insurance coverage through an academic institution