Speech & Language Therapy Clinic
The Speech & Language Clinic at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland is the Bay Area's leading provider of diagnosis and treatment for pediatric speech impediments, hearing disorders, and other communication problems in children. Benioff Children's pediatric speech pathologists have specialized training to provide speech therapy and language therapy to toddlers, preschool and school aged children. Speech therapy and language services draw on a team of experts from several areas of medicine to provide services for children with language delays and disorders, apraxia, autism, articulation disorders, voice disorders and stuttering disorders.
Why Families Choose Us
UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland Speech & Language Therapy Clinic is specially designated facility
for identifying communication problems in young children and toddlers.
Comprehensive Hearing and Speech Services for Children
Qualified Speech Therapy and Language Therapy for Children of All Ages
- Children's pediatric trained speech pathologists have specialized training to provide speech-language therapy to toddlers, preschool and school aged children through adolescence.
- Pediatric speech and language pathologists collaborate with our experts in audiology, craniofacial surgery, respiratory therapy, physical and occupational therapy to ensure the best outcome for your child.
Certified Therapists Provide One-on-One Care and Cross-Systems Collaboration
- All speech therapists at Children's Oakland Walnut Creek Hearing & Speech Center and San Ramon Speech & Language Therapy Clinic are certified by the American Speech-Language Hearing Association.
- Pediatric trained speech therapists and speech pathologists provide therapy plans, evaluations, reports, and medical referrals that are personalized and detailed for your child.
- Through one-on-one collaboration and careful treatment plans, our therapists work with school and medical systems to ensure your child’s growth continues in and out of the clinic setting.
Speech Therapy and Language Support or Surgical Intervention
- Complex communication disorders that require cochlear implants or advanced audiology support are fully supported by the Audiology Department at Children’s Hospital Oakland and Walnut Creek. With a fully-supported department featuring top Bay Area surgeons and rehabilitation specialists, your child is given the highest quality of care available.
Additional Pediatric Speech and Language Service
- Because continued care at home offers your child his or her best chance of success, we encourage parental involvement. Education and training is available for increased at-home care.
Your Child's Hearing & Speech Milestones
Ask your child's pediatrician for a referral to one of our pediatric audiologists if any of the following occur:
- Does not pass newborn hearing screening
- Does not babble or make sounds by the age of 9 months
- Does not respond to sounds
- Does not understand simple commands by the age of 2
- Does not imitate or produce words by the age of 18 to 24 months
- Cannot be understood by family and/or caregivers by the age of 3
- Cannot be understood by individuals with whom they do not associate regularly
- Cannot correctly produce most speech sounds
- Has poor voice quality
- Continues to stutter past the age of 5
Call to schedule a screening with our speech-language pathologists if your child has not met these milestones:
By age 2 years, your child should:
By age 3 years, your child should:
- Identify basic body parts and clothing
- Follow 2-step directions
- Use two-word phrases frequently
- Use 50 different words
By age 4 years, your child should:
- Understand common action words
- Answer yes/no questions correctly
- Use simple sentences
- Be understood by familiar listeners
By age 5 years, your child should:
- Recognize actions in pictures
- Name a variety of pictured objects
- Combine 4+ words in spontaneous speech
- Be understood by familiar and/or unfamiliar listeners
- Answer questions logically
- Speak clearly