the Pediatric Neuroscience Center, we specialize in bringing hope to patients with
neurological conditions. UCSF Benioff Children’s Neuroscience Center is one of
the leading pediatric programs in California providing comprehensive
evaluation, treatment, and surgical care for babies, children, adolescents and
teens with disorders of the brain, spinal cord, nerves, muscles and central and
peripheral nervous systems. We bring together world-class doctors in the fields
of neuro trauma, neuro-oncology, neurosurgery, epilepsy treatment, and
neurological research, making us a destination many families rely on for
specialized neurological care. And because we work solely with children, all
our services—from diagnostic evaluation to the latest surgical intervention—are
built around the special needs of young bodies and young minds.
747 52nd Street
Oakland, CA 94609
Phone: 510-428-3885 x2252
Why Families Choose Us
High-Quality Medical Care in a Compassionate Setting
- Our unique Neuroscience Center multidisciplinary team includes specialists from pediatric neurosurgery, oncology, radiation therapy, rehabilitation medicine, neuropsychology, neurology, ophthalmology, diagnostic imaging, and other specialties.
- Minimizing anxiety and its physiological consequences is a key factor in your child's recovery. We have the most comprehensive child life program in the region to help children feel more comfortable about the process of undergoing tests, surgery, and rehabilitation.
Centers of Excellence in Neurological Subspecialties
- When treating children with complex spinal disorders, the team of specialists at the UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland Spine Center knows that collaboration between an orthopedic spine surgeon and a neurosurgeon is required to achieve the safest and best results.
- A multidisciplinary Craniofacial Center team includes specialists from audiology, oral surgery, plastic and craniofacial surgery, pediatric dentistry and orthodontics, neurosurgery, otolaryngology, nursing, and speech pathology.
- The Peacock Center for Cerebral Palsy & Movement Disorders at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland is Northern California's leader in the treatment of children with cerebral palsy (CP) and spasticity.
- Rett Syndrome is a debilitating neurological disorder diagnosed almost exclusively in girls. It occurs in one of every 10,000 females births in the United States. It is rare enough that it can be a real challenge to find quality, family-focused healthcare options in your area. At UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland we are proud to house Katie’s Clinic for Rett Syndrome, a specialty clinic that is one of the few places in the United States, and the only in the bay area, that specializes in diagnosis and comprehensive care for girls and young women with Rett Syndrome.
- As one of only five ACS Level 1 pediatric trauma centers in California and one of 13 freestanding ACS Level 1 pediatric trauma centers in the United States, Children's Hospital Oakland provides immediate highly-specialized pediatric emergency services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Conditions and Treatments
Top Pediatric Epilepsy Program
- The UCSF Benioff Children's Oakland, the Neuroscience Center provides a comprehensive Epilepsy Program, where specialists work hand in hand with a team of neurosurgical experts to evaluate and manage the care of children with brain tumors.
- Over 400 children with epilepsy pass through our doors each year, making us one of the most experienced epilepsy treatment centers in Northern California.
- Our physicians with epilepsy expertise not only treat chronic conditions, but are also deeply involved in researching scientific explanations to better understand and treat childhood epilepsy. By focusing on both the scientific and practical applications of medical intervention—we're able to pave the way for new and innovative treatment options.
- UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland features a prominent bay area ketogenic diet program that provides alternative treatment options for patients who don't respond to traditional medications. Cross-departmental work between nutritionists and the Neuroscience Center has been used to manage epilepsy in Bay Area children for over 15 years.
Nationwide Affiliations with Pediatric Neurology Specialty Providers
- Children’s Hospital Oakland is one of only 42 centers worldwide participating in the Head Start Consortium for Pediatric Brain Tumors, which investigates alternative treatments for malignant tumors with the goal of protecting cognitive development.
- Our Neuroscience Center is a member of the Children’s Oncology Group (COG), the world’s largest and most recognized pediatric cancer research collaborative. COG unites the best of the academic and clinical research worlds to move the most promising treatments from the lab into clinical trials.
- As part of the COG, we share resources with over 5,000 dedicated experts in childhood cancer research and treatment located at more than 235 leading children’s hospitals, university hospitals, and cancer centers throughout the United States.
- ThinkFirst for Kids Program at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland was originally developed by the American Association of Neurological Surgeons and the Congress of Neurological Surgeons and provides education to school-age children and adolescents to help prevent brain and spinal cord injuries.