Diagnostic Imaging, MRI, & Radiology
No place is like Children’s when it comes to radiology and imaging services for children. We use the most advanced imaging equipment available for ultrasound, X-ray, fluoroscopy, MRI, CT scan and all imaging services. Each imaging machine is carefully calibrated to use the lowest doses of radiation possible to provide the highest quality image. Our pediatric radiologists, imaging technologists, and nurses work only with children and we have child life specialists who help ease anxiety about tests using a variety of distraction and orientation techniques. Children’s is one of only a small number of pediatric medical centers in the country to have child life specialists working in a dedicated pediatric radiology and imaging department.
Why Families Choose Us
Age-Appropriate Diagnostic Imaging Options
- Pediatric radiologists are integral to diagnosing illness and injury. They have additional years of training to understand the unique needs of children and know what are the best imaging techniques to diagnose medical and surgical problems.
- They have detailed knowledge of the illnesses and medical conditions of infants and children and most importantly are specially trained to interpret the results of the test and make an appropriate diagnosis.
- Diagnostic Imaging is an umbrella term that includes a variety of radiological, chemical, and technological devices that allow us to take a look at what's going on inside your child’s body.
- Because no two patients present the same symptoms and needs—and because there are always unique circumstances regarding your child’s care—our diagnostic techniques include the latest in angiography, CT scans, conventional x-rays, fluoroscopy, MRI scans, nuclear medicine, ultrasound, and special procedures that involve more invasive imaging methods like biopsies and the use of catheters.
Child Support Services to Ease Anxiety and Put the Patient First
- We understand that children are often anxious about procedures, so we provide Child Life Services with this in mind. Our goal is to minimize each child’s stress and anxiety, which is why we choose developmentally-appropriate methods to prepare each patient.
- Our Child Life Specialists encourage children to express their concerns by offering them techniques to manage anxiety during their procedures. For MRIs and CT scans, some kids like listening to music or stories. For IV starts, we teach children and their caregivers distraction and relaxation techniques. And if sedation or anesthesia is required for your child’s study, we work with the sedation/anesthesia imaging team to make the experience as pleasant and safe as possible for you and your child.
Physicians Ranked the "Best Doctors in America"
- Children's physicians have had years of special training to
become experts in treating children. When physicians themselves are
polled by the Harvard Medical School as to whom they would refer their
own children or loved ones, our doctors are consistently listed among
the Best Doctors in America.
Pediatricians Who Are Experts in Treating Childhood Diseases
- Children’s Hospital Oakland is unique in offering sub-specialty
expertise in all areas of childhood diseases and disorders—as well as
collaboration between all Children's Hospital departments—giving
children the most comprehensive care possible.
- Children’s is one of few pediatric hospitals that also has a
research institute known worldwide for its focus on pediatric research,
which improves the cure rate and quality of survival for even the
Life Saving Research—Medical Breakthroughs & Cures
- Research that has changed medicine worldwide was originated and
is conducted right here at Children’s Hospital Oakland Research
- Children’s research scientists collaborate with clinical
subspecialists who have pediatric expertise and are successful in
bringing the best ideas from the laboratory to the patient in the form
of promising new treatments.
- Parents can choose to participate in clinical trials using experimental and potentially lifesaving therapies.