Physical therapy at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland is provided through the inpatient and outpatient programs at the Children’s Oakland Rehabilitation Center. As a specialty pediatric center we are uniquely able to provide a multidisciplinary approach to helping children who are recovering from severe injuries or illnesses. We place special emphasis on parent and caretaker training to help our patients reintegrate into their homes and function in their communities. Our team is supported by clinical nurses who are dedicated to caring for children with specialized medical needs like tracheostomy,ventilator, and parenteral or enteral feedings.
Why Families Choose Us
Inpatient and Outpatient Physical Therapy Options
- Children’s Hospital Oakland offers physical therapy services to improve movement, strength, coordination, balance, and development in our pediatric patients.
- Services are offered in both inpatient and outpatient capacities, with access to physical therapy in many of our community clinics for your convenience.
Multidisciplinary Support over the Long-Term
- Our pediatric physical therapists work as part of a multidisciplinary team of professionals, including:
|• Board-certified Pediatric Physiatrists
• Child Life Specialists
• Clinical Nurse Specialists
• Occupational Therapists
• Orthopaedic Surgeons
• Physical Therapists
|• Plastic Surgeons
• Recreational Therapists
• Speech-Language Pathologists
We treat children who have:
- Traumatic injuries, e.g., closed head injuries, spinal cord injuries, fractures
- Orthopaedic related injuries
- Neurological insult, including anoxia, encephalitis, stroke, brain tumors
- Undergone surgical procedures, e.g., musculoskeletal correction and alignment surgeries, tumor resections, wound cleaning and closure, etc.
- Arthritis, diabetes, hemophilia, sickle cell disease, other metabolic disease processes that may adversely impact functional abilities
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplants
Treatments We Provide
- Developmentally appropriate gross motor activities
- Neuromuscular re-education, balance activities
- Range of motion, strengthening exercises
- Gait and functional mobility training
- Sports specific rehabilitation and training
- Burn and wound care
- Casting, splinting, and taping for improved alignment
- Equipment evaluation
Sports Injury Recovery
- Children’s Sports Medicine Center for Young Athletes is one of Northern California’s top destinations for the prevention and treatment of sports-related injuries. The two Centers are specially-designed to offer the highest level of care, treatment options, and education for young athletes. A diverse team of pediatric specialists, sports-certified physical therapists, and physicians who are experienced at addressing not only a wide range of sports injury and rehabilitation issues, but also the health and well-being of the whole child offer comprehensive rehabilitation that is specific for young athletes.
Ongoing Pediatric Physical Therapy in the Bay Area
- Because a lifetime of health is our primary goal, we encourage family participation in physical therapy and include an educational component so that you can continue recovery at home.
- Although most of our patients are children between the ages of birth and 18, continued services and referrals are available for children who have aged out of care but who still require longer-term support.
- Home programs and community clinic therapy sessions are designed to maximize your child’s recovery potential over the long term.