Hospital Volunteer Program
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland. We appreciate your interest in serving our young patients and their families.
Volunteers at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland are a diverse, well trained group of individuals who generously give thousands of hours each year to support hospital staff and patients. Our Volunteer program is service-based, which means that our volunteers provide service to the hospital without the expectation of personal benefit beyond the intangible benefits of service.
The requirements to become a Hospital Volunteer are:
Our on-boarding process for hospital volunteers includes the following:
- Be 16 years or older
- Commit to a minimum of one shift per week for at least six months of continuous service, and a total minimum commitment of 100 hours
- Pass a background check
- Be in good general physical and mental health
- Have no criminal record
- Complete the Volunteer Application and Health Clearance form
Volunteer Application and Health Clearance Form
- Background check
- Group interview
- Placement-specific training
It can often take 4-6 weeks to become a volunteer. In addition, because of the
needs of our hospital community, new volunteers who are 18 years or older are
required to serve a minimum of 50 hours in one of the following areas prior to
an alternate placement: Information Desk, Gift Shop or Art Cart.
Because of the great number of volunteer applications we receive and because of
the nature of the volunteer schedule, we cannot guarantee placement in our
program. Currently, we have limited openings available for high school students
during the school year, with the exception of our Sports Medicine Clinics in San Ramon, Oakland and Walnut Creek.
To apply to volunteer:
Our 2017 New Volunteer Orientations will take place the following days/times: Thursday, March 9, Thursday, April 6, Monday, May 22 and Thursday, October 5. Orientations begin at 4:00 PM and end at 6:00 PM. In order to be considered, you must attend one of our orientations.
- To register, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Our orientations fill up about a month before the orientation date. Please plan accordingly.
- Please do not send applications to Volunteer Services; all applications that are received will be returned.
- Please bring your completed Volunteer Application & Health Clearance form to the next orientation for which you are registered.
High School Summer Program
Unfortunately, we will not be hosting our 2017 High School Summer Program. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please visit www.volunteermatch.org for volunteer programs in your area.
Hospital Volunteer Program