Thank you for your interest in volunteering for UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland. We appreciate your interest in serving our young patients and their families.
Our on-boarding process for hospital volunteers includes the following:
Volunteer Application and Health Clearance Form
- Background check
- Personal interview
- Placement-specific training
It can often take 2-3 months to become a volunteer. In addition, because of the
needs of our hospital community, new volunteers who are 18 years or older are
required to serve a minimum of 50 hours in one of the following areas prior to
an alternate placement: Information Desk, Gift Shop or Toy Closets.
Because of the great number of volunteer applications we receive and because of
the nature of the volunteer schedule, we cannot guarantee placement in our
program. Currently, we have limited openings available for high school students
during the school year.
To apply to volunteer:
- Please register for one of our 2016 New Volunteer Orientations as soon as dates become available; please check this page after December 1 for more information.
- Please do not send applications to Volunteer Services; all applications that are received will be returned.
- Please bring your completed Volunteer Application & Health Clearance form to the next orientation for which you are registered.
High School Students
Our High School Summer Program offers 16 & 17 year-old students the opportunity to serve once a week for a 3-4 hour shift over a period of 8 weeks during June & July. Students serve in one of the following areas: Art Cart, Book Cart, Clerical Support, Gift Shop or Sports Medicine. Please check back in January for more information on applying to participate in our 2016 High School Summer Program. Thank you!
Volunteers at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland are a diverse, well trained group of individuals who generously give thousands of hours each year to support hospital staff and patients. Our Volunteer program is service-based, which means that our volunteers provide service to the hospital without the expectation of personal benefit beyond the intangible benefits of service.
How To Apply
If you are interested in submitting an application to become a
Children's Hospital volunteer, download and complete the Application and
Health Clearance Form.
- Be 16 years or older
- Commit to a minimum of one shift per week for at least six months of continuous service, and a total minimum commitment of 100 hours
- Pass a background check
- Be in good general physical and mental health
- Have no criminal record
- Complete the Volunteer Application & Health Clearance form