Thank you for your interest in volunteering for UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland. We appreciate your interest in serving our young patients and their families.
Volunteers at UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland are a diverse, well trained group of individuals who generously give thousands of hours each year to support hospital staff and patients. Our Volunteer program is service-based, which means that our volunteers provide service to the hospital without the expectation of personal benefit beyond the intangible benefits of service.
Due to the number of volunteer applications we receive and of the nature of the volunteer schedule, we cannot guarantee placement in our program. Currently, we have limited openings available for high school students during the school year, with the exception of our Sports Medicine Clinics in San Ramon, Oakland, and Walnut Creek.
The requirements to become a Hospital Volunteer are:
Our on-boarding process for hospital volunteers includes the following:
- Be 16 years or older
- Commit to a minimum of one shift per week for at least six months of continuous service, and a total minimum commitment of 100 hours
- Pass a background check
- Be in good general physical and mental health
- Have no criminal record
- Complete the Volunteer Application and Health Clearance form
To apply to volunteer:
Volunteer Application and Health Clearance Form
- Background check
- Group interview
- Placement-specific training
Our 2017 New Volunteer Orientations will take place on the following days/times: Thursday, April 6 (now full), Monday, May 22 (now full) and Thursday, October 5. Orientations begin at 4:00 PM and end at 6:00 PM. In order to be considered, you must attend one of our orientations.
- To register, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Our orientations fill up about a month before the orientation date. Please plan accordingly.
- After you attend our orientation, you will receive an email to register for one of our group interviews. A few days before your scheduled interview, you will receive an email confirmation from our office. Group interviews are conducted until mid-November.
- If accepted into our program, you will receive a “provisional acceptance” email with further instructions. At that time, it will be up to you to complete and submit via email or fax a completedVolunteer Application & Health Clearance form.
- Once we receive your completed application, we will process it and follow-up with you with further information.
Between November and December, our office does not host orientations or group interviews as our focus is the holidays. For 2018 orientation dates, please visit our website in mid-December.
High School Summer Program
Unfortunately, we will not be hosting our 2017 High School Summer Program. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please visit www.volunteermatch.org for volunteer programs in your area.