We are happy to welcome visitors of all ages to UCSF Benioff Children's Hospital Oakland. If you need information on hotels visit: Accommodations & Lodgings
- 8 AM to 8 PM, seven days a week, for patients' relatives and friends
- Immediate family are welcome to be present at any time
- One parent or guardian is invited to stay overnight
Everyone visiting our medical center is required to check in at the Ambassadors' Desk in the entry lobby. The ambassador is there to help direct you and provide any information you may need about the hospital. He or she will issue you a color-coded badge so you can find the appropriate floor/s, and will quickly screen little ones for colds and other contagious illnesses. We have a special sticker for kids to wear after screening.
Who May Visit
- Parents and guardians are welcome at all times, day or night. Because space is limited, only one parent/guardian may spend the night in a child's room.
- Unfortunately we don't have space for young visitors and siblings to spend the night. Please make arrangements for the care of your child's brothers and sisters.
- Because of limited space, please have no more than four visitors at one time in a room.
For everyone's health and safety, we require that visitors wash their hands, just as our staff does, before entering a patient's room. There are bathrooms available on every floor to accommodate you.
Contact a Patient by Phone
Your child’s room has a private phone line. To reach a patient, please dial (510) 428-3555 and the child's phone extension, not their room number
. If you do not know the patient's phone extension, please dial (510) 428-3000 and ask the Operator to connect you; be sure to tell them the patient's room number.
Using the Phone in the Patient Rooms
- To call outside the hospital, dial “9” and the number you are calling. There is no charge for local phone calls.
- To call outside the local area, use a phone card. These are available in the hospital gift shop.
Cell Phone Usage
If you have a cell phone, please note that in some areas of the hospital they may not be used because their signals may interfere with medical equipment. It’s OK to use cell phones in the Friendly Café on the second floor.
Send an eCard
The Children's Hospital Oakland ecard service
provides a great way for extended family and friends to stay connected with your child during an extended hospital stay.
Our staff is happy to help you find a unique gift for that special patient or staff member, with same-day, free delivery to any room in the hospital. Because the Gift Shop is owned and operated by the hospital, all proceeds support Children's Hospital. The Gift Shop at Children's Hospital Oakland is conveniently located near the first floor main entrance of the main hospital building.
Phone orders are taken during store hours. Complimentary gift wrapping is available upon request. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express.
Hours: Monday – Friday, 10 AM - 5:30 PM
Phone: (510) 428-3275
Fax: (510) 597-7133
Preparing for Siblings for a Visit
Child Life Specialists
are available to help prepare children who are visiting a sick or injured sibling. Please call (510) 428-3520
for more information.
If you are visiting a child in the Intensive Care Nursery, Intensive Care Unit, or the Immunocompromised Unit, special visitation guidelines may apply. The guidelines are posted in these areas.
Please make sure that kids are supervised while in the hospital.
Sometimes we may ask all visitors to leave temporarily so we can provide critical care to a very sick child. We appreciate your cooperation.